Current Affairs Questions with Answers for August 2013 useful for IBPS / Bank PO / MT / Clerk / SO exams
5 August 2013
• US temporarily closed diplomatic missions after intercepting al-Qaeda threats.
• Zimbabwe parliamentary election 2013: Zanu-PF, the party of Robert Mugabe declared
• China blocked import of milk powder from New Zealand.
• Hassan Rouhani sworn in as the new president of Iran.
6 August 2013
• Colombo South Harbour declared open by Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapakse.
• Konkan Railway to scrap Skybus project.
• Supreme Court rejected Abu Salem’s plea for quashing all proceedings against him.
• Former Turkish army chief among 19 people handed life term for coup plot.
7 August 2013
• Japan unveiled its biggest warship called Izumo.
8 August 2013
• India announced 150 thousand Dollar assistance to Afghan bomb attack victims.
• Japan pledged huge spending cuts amounting to 83 Billion US Dollars.
9 August 2013
• Royal Yacht Squadron Club lifted its 200-year ban on women members.
• US Presidential Medal of Freedom to be conferred on Bill Clinton & Oprah Winfrey.
• International Day of the World’s Indigenous People observed on 9 August.
10 August 2013
• IEA warned that oil supplies from OPEC may decline.
• Sri Lankan President felicitated tribal community, the Veddas on World Indigenous Peoples
11 August 2013
• One lakh people applied to go on one-way trip to Mars under Mars One Project.
Q1. Name the Double Trap shooter of India who was recommended for the Rajiv Gandhi
Khel Ratna award 2013?
Ans. Ronjan Sodhi
Note: Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award is India’s highest honour for a sportsperson. Sodhi had
won two silver medals at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and a gold medal at the 2010 Asian
Games. In 2011, he became the first Indian to successfully defend a World Cup title.
Q2. Name the first ever indigenously designed and built aircraft carrier launched by India on
12 August 2013?
Ans. INS Vikrant
Note: Click Here to read more. INS Vikrant has a length of 260 metres and it is 60 metres wide.
Vikrant is scheduled for extensive trials in 2016 before being inducted into the Navy by 2018
Q3. Name the indigenously-developed nuclear-capable surface-to-surface missile
successfully test-fired by India on 12 August 2013?
Note: Prithvi-II s the first missile to be developed under India’s prestigious Integrated Guided
Missile Development Programme (IGMDP). It is capable of carrying 500 kg to 1000 kg of
warheads. It has a range of 350 km.
Q4. India celebrated its ………th Independence Day on 15 August 2013?
Q5. Name the Wimbledon 2013 Women’s Singles winner who announced her retirement
from Lawn Tennis on 14 August 2013?
Ans. Marion Bartoli
Q6. Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Ministry on 13 August 2013 decided to extend Direct
Benefit Transfer for LPG (DBTL) scheme to how many more districts from 1 September 2013?
Note: With this extension the total districts covered under this scheme would go up to 55
districts. New districts which will be covered under the scheme include 12 in Kerala, seven in
Andhra Pradesh, seven in Himachal Pradesh, five in Punjab, two in Madhya Pradesh and one
each in Maharashtra and Goa. With this Kerala becomes the first state to be completely covered
under Direct Benefit Transfer for LPG (DBTL) scheme.
Q7. Name the Indian submarine which sank with 18 crewmen after explosion on 14 August
2013 at the high-security naval dockyard in Mumbai?
Ans. INS Sindhurakshak
Note: Click Here to read more
INS Sindhurakshak is the ninth of the ten Sindhughosh-class diesel-electric submarines of the
Indian Navy. At the time of its sinking, there were reportedly 18 crew members on board and
all are feared dead.
Q8. First season of the Indian Badminton League (IBL) started on 14 August 2013 at New
Delhi. IBL is the franchise league which is proposed under?
Ans. Badminton Association of India (BAI).
Note: The schedule of the IBL is 14 August 2013 to 31 August 2013. The league will include
Indian as well as foreign badminton players.
Q9. Who are the brand ambassadors of the Indian Badminton League (IBL)?
Ans. Deepika Padukone and Aamir Khan
Q10. Name the franchise cities included in IBL?
Ans. Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Nagpur and Lucknow.
Q11. Union Minister of State for Personnel and Training V Narayanasamy on 12 August 2013
introduced The Right to Information (Amendment) Bill 2013 in Lok Sabha. What is the
objective of the bill?
Ans. Bill was introduced to amend the Right to Information Act, 2005, to exclude the political
parties from the definition of Public authority for the purpose of the Act.
Q12. Who was the chairman of selection committee for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Arjuna
award this year?
Ans. Billiards legend Michael Ferreira.
Q13. Who won the 100 metre sprint title at the 14th IAAF World Championships 2013 held in
Moscow on 11 August 2013?
Ans. Usain Bolt
Q14. Name the sports persons recommended for Arjuna awards 2013?
Ans. Virat Kohli (Cricket), Chekrovolu Swuro (Archery), Renjith Maheshwary (Athletics), PV
Sindhu (Badminton), Kavita Chahal (Boxing), Rupesh Shah (Snooker), Gaganjeet Bhullar (Golf),
Saba Anjum (Hockey), Rajkumari Rathore (Shooting), Joshna Chinappa (Squash), Mouma Das
(Table Tennis), Neha Rathi (Wrestling), Dharmendra Dalal (Wrestling), Amit Kumar Saroha
Q15. A Street in Winnipeg city of which country has been named after Mahatma Gandhi on
the occasion of India’s 67th Independence Day?
Q16. Which state Government on 7 August 2013 became the first state in the country to
disburse salary of its staff through their Aadhaar-linked bank accounts?
Q17. Janata Party led by Subramanian Swamy has merged with which party on on 11 August
Ans. Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)
Q18. Who won Women’s Rogers Cup 2013?
Ans. Serena Williams
Q19. Who won Men’s Singles Title in Rogers Cup 2013?
Ans. Rafael Nadal
Q20. Name the bill passed by Rajya Sabha on 13 August 2013 under which marriages
solemnized in India irrespective of the religion of the persons getting married will have to be
Ans. Registration of Births and Deaths (Amendment) Bill, 2012
Q21. Who was appointed as a member of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on 8
Ans. Vinay Mittal
Note: He is a former Indian Railway Traffic Service officer. Appointment of the UPSC member
is for a period of six years or until he/she attains the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier. The
Commission consists of a Chairman and ten Members.
Q22. Who is responsible for appointing the chairman and members to the UPSC?
Ans. Department of Personnel & Training (Union Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances &
Q23. What is the structure of present Union Public Service Commission?
Ans. Present Union Public Service Commission headed by D P Agrawal, and members of UPSC
are Rajni Razdan, Venkatarami Reddy Y, Alka Sirohi, David R Syiemlieh, Manbir Singh, former
CBI director Amar Pratap Singh and Former Navy Vice Chief D K Dewan.
Q24. Who was named as the captain of the 18-member Indian squad for the Asia Cup hockey
tournament on 11 August 2013?
Ans. Sardar Singh
Q25. AERB has given clearance for the unit 1 of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant
(KNPP) to produce 500MW of power on 15 Aug 13. AERB stands for?
Ans. Atomic Energy Regulatory Board
Q26. Central Government on 13 August 2013 raised customs duty on gold, silver and
platinum to ………… percent in a bid to curb the surging imports and burgeoning Current
Q27. Name the Egypt’s Vice President who resigned in protest over the attacks on pro
Mohamed Morsi supporters in Cairo on 14 August 2013?
Ans. Mohamed Elbaradei
Q28. Union Cabinet on 13 August 2013 approved the proposal for setting up of the Tax
Administration Reform Commission (TARC). What is the aim of setting such a Commission?
Ans. To remove ambiguity and establish a stable and non-adversarial tax administration.
Q29. Indian Police team won a record breaking haul of ……….. medals after participating in
the World Police & Fire Games held at Belfast from 1 August to 10 August 2013?
Note: It includes 48 Gold, 22 Silver and 13 Bronze Medals.
Q30. Which company became Aditya Birla group’s most valuable company on 12 August
Ans. Idea Cellular
Q31. Who won Mali’s Presidential elections on 12 August 2013?
Ans. Ibrahim Boubacar Keita
Q32. The first Cyber Forensic Laboratory (CFL) of India was established in which High Court
on 11 August 2013?
Ans. Tripura High Court
Q33. Union Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution Minister K.V. Thomas on 7
August 2013 introduced National Food Security Bill 2013 in Lok Sabha. This will replace
Ans. National Food Security Ordinance, 2013
Q34. Who won the Gold medal in Women’s pole vault final at World Athletic Championship
in Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow, Russia?
Q35. International Youth Day was observed on 12th August. What was the theme of the day
Ans. Youth Migration: Moving Development Forward.
Q36. Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on 16 August 2013 unveiled the National Skill
Certification and Monetary Reward Scheme. What is the objective of the scheme?
Ans. To motivate the youth for acquiring vocational skills.
Q37. Which country has declared one month emergency following political violence
occupied by supporters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi?
Q38. Ministry of Information and Broadcasting on 14 August 2013 unveiled the second phase
of comprehensive multi-media initiative Glimpses of the India Story. What is the aim of
such an intiative?
Ans. To inform the people about the measures taken by the UPA Government
Q39. India won six medals at the 7th Asian Junior Wushu Championships which concluded
on 13 August 2013. Where was the Championship held?
Ans. Manila, Philippines
Q40. Name the oldest penguin of the world which turned 36 years old on 12 August 2013?
Ans. King Penguin Missy
Q41. Who won the Cadet Girls singles title at Guatemala Junior and Cadet Open Table
Tennis championships on 11 August 2013?
Ans. Sagarika Ghosh
Q42. Mars one in the first week of August 2013 announced that more than ………… lakh people
have applied for a one-way trip the Mars (the red planet)?
Q43. Travel & Tourism Fair (TTF) 2013, the biggest travel trade show of India, started off on
16 August 2013 at which place?
Q44. Name the largest blast furnace of India operationalised by Steel Authority of India Ltd
(SAIL), on 10 August 2013?
Q45. Name the India’s best known naturalist and ornithologist who passed away on 11
Ans. Zafar Futehally
Q46. Name the New App developed by German Scientists to find lost things?
Q47. Which Indian player has won 10000 dollar the Internalional Tennis Federation (ITF)
Women’s Tennis Tournament on 11 August 2013?
Ans. Sowjanya Bavisetti
Q48. Indian-American Trio won top honours at the 11th National Geographic World
Championship. Where was it held?
Ans. Russia’s St. Petersburg city.
Q49. Name the first British to perform a space walk who retired from NASA in the second
week of August 2013?
Ans. Colin Michael Foale
Q50. Who was appointed as 11th Director of the IIM A (Indian Institute of Management,
Ahmadabad) on 13 August 2013?
Ans. Ashish Nanda
1. Which is the first Indian state to introduce e-GPF facility?
Answer: Arunachal Pradesh
2. Recently three astronauts reached International Space Station in six hours from Earth.
Which spaceship is used by them?
Answer: Suyuz- TMA
3. Recently, the High Court of which state in India had given a verdict that all new
vehicles registered in the state should run on Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)?
4. In recent times, BYOD has been making waves in the business world, with a large number
of companies opening up to the concept to enhance business productivity. BYOD stands for?
Answer: Bring Your Own Device
5. Who won the high quality final match of the 12th Asian Billiards Championship 2013?
Answer: Rupesh Shah
6. Recently, which National Park was chosen for unmanned aerial survey, which is first of its
kind in India?
Answer: Kaziranga National park
7. As per the provisional data released by the Central Statistical Organization (CSO), for
2012-13, which state leads all states in India with respect to economic growth?
Answer: Madhya Pradesh
8. Which is the innovative exhibition on rail, launched by Ministry of Environment for to
create awareness in youth about the exceptional biodiversity of India?
Answer: Science Express Biodiversity Special (SEBS) Train
9. Which country was making news recently as it’s privately owned newspapers go on sale
for the first time since 1964?
10. Who has been recently appointed as the new chief of NASSCOM?
Answer: Krishnakumar Natarajan
11. Who was awarded Pandit Hridaynath Lifetime Achievement award recently?
Answer: Asha Bhonsle
12. Manik Sarkar has become the Chief Minister of which state for the fourth consecutive
13. Who has become Kenya’s fourth President?
Answer: Uhuru Kenyatta
14. Which state in India will host the World Chess Championship from November 6 to 26 in
Answer: Tamil Nadu
15. The code name given to the electronic surveillance program operated by the United States
which is said to have had direct access to the communications passed through Google,
Facebook, Apple and many other internet companies?
16. According to the data released by the World Steel Association, India is ranked …………..
in the world steel production?
Answer: Fourth. The world No.1 producer is China.
17. World Ocean Day was celebrated on …………?
Answer: June 8
18. Who has registered a record 8th win in the Men’s Singles title in the French Open Tennis
Answer: Rafael Nadal (Spain), with this win he has become the only male player to win
any Grand Slam tournament eight times, and the first man to win at least one grand slam
tournament for nine consecutive years.
19. Who won the Women’s Singles in the French Open Tennis Tournament?
Answer: Serena Williams (US). This is her 16th Grand Slam title.
20. Who is appointed as the new Indian High Commissioner to Pakistan?
Answer: TCA Raghavan
21. The founder of the famous Sulabh Project, who has been presented with the French
award, ‘Legend of Planet’?
Answer: Bindeshwar Pathak
Sulabh International is a social service organization which works mainly in the field of
sanitation to improve public health.
22. Infinity Tower, the World’s tallest twisted tower (306 meter) was inaugurated in:
23. The young Indian shuttler who won the Thailand Open Grand Prix Badminton Trophy?
Answer: K. Srikanth
24. The multi agency body to be established by the Government of India to carry out realtime
assessment of cyber security threats?
Answer: National Cyber Coordination Centre (NCCC)
25. A newly discovered layer of the Human cornea?
Answer: Dua’s Layer
26. World Blood Donor Day was observed on:
Answer: June 14
27. Which country launched ‘Shenzhou 10’, their fifth manned space mission?
28. The 160 year old communication service recently discontinued by the Government of
Answer: Telegram. It stopped working on July 14, 2013.
29. Where was this year’s G-8 summit held?
Answer: Lough Erne, Northern Ireland in United Kingdom
30. Who has been selected as the captain of the India Under-19 Cricket team?
Answer: Vijay Zol, Sanju Samson, the wicket keeper from Kerala is the Vice Captain of the
31. The new chairman of the Life Insurance Corporation of India?
Answer: S. K Roy
32. Who won this year’s Walter Scott Prize?
Answer: Tan Twan Eng. The Malaysian author got the award for his novel ‘The Garden of
33. As per the United Nations World Populations Prospects Report released recently, India
will emerge as the most populous country in …………?
34. China has recently developed the World’s fastest supercomputer named ………….?
35. Petr Necas, who resigned recently amidst accusations of corruption, was the Prime
Minister of …………….?
Answer: Czech Republic
36. Who is the new Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways?
Answer: Oscar Fernandes
37. Which International award has recently been conferred on the biotechnologists, Marry-
Dell Chilton, Rober Fraley and Marc Van Montagu?
Answer: World Food Prize 2013
38. The United Nations has designated …………. as Public Service Day?
Answer: June 23
39. Darren Lehmann has been appointed as the coach of which national Cricket team?
40. Which country won the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy Cricket title?
41. The hornbill, selected as the official mascot of the 35th National Games has been named
Answer: Ammu. The Games will be hosted by Kerala in February 2014.
42. The six Indian forts which have been declared world heritage sites are located in the state
43. The flood ravaged Kedarnath is located in the state of …………..?
44. Which micro blogging platform and social networking website has recently been bought
45. …………. Has become the first European country to introduce compulsory military service
46. Commodity Transaction Tax (CTT), proposed in the current year’s budget of India, has
come into effect on ………….?
Answer: July 1, 2013.
47. World Refugee Day was observed on …………?
Answer: June 20
48. Who is elected as the new Prime Minister of Australia, replacing Julia Gillard?
Answer: Kevin Rudd
49. Tsakhiagiin Elbegdorj has been re-elected as the President of ……….?
50. Which country is to launch ‘Kirobo’, the World’s first talking Robot-astronaut to space?
51. Who takes over as the new Chief Justice of India?
Answer: P. Sathasivam
52. Who won the FIFA Confederation Cup 2013?
53. Who won the FIDE Women’s Grand Prix Chess tournament held at Dilijan, Armenia?
Answer: Koneru Humpy
54. Najeeb Jung has recently been appointed as the new Lieutenant Governor of …………?
55. India has successfully launched its first dedicated navigation satellite, …………..?
56. Who is appointed as the new Governor of Meghalaya?
Answer: K. K Paul
57. Y K Sinha has been appointed as the new Indian High Commissioner to ……………?
Answer: Sri Lanka
58. National Doctor’s Day was observed on ………….?
Answer: July 1, it is the Birth anniversary of Dr. B.C Roy
59. Asian Athletic Championship has been held at ……….?
60. The International Astronomical Union (IAU) has named the two recently found smallest
moons of Pluto as ………. and ………..?
Answer: Kerberos and Styx
61. National Statistics Day was observed on …………?
Answer: June 29, The day is celebrated on the occasion on the birth anniversary of Late Prof. P
62. Who is appointed as the new director of CIA?
Answer: John O. Brennan
63. The new Chief Secretary of Kerala?
Answer: E.K Bharat Bhushan
64. Who is the Chairman of the JPC to probe the alleged scam in 2G spectrum allocation?
Answer: P.C Chacko
65. The shooter who has become the first Indian women to win gold in pistol shooting at the
world cup at Changwon in Korea?
Answer: Rahi Sarnobat
66. The winner of the latest Vikram Sarabhai Award?
Answer: E. Sreedharan
67. The first Malayali woman to get first rank in Civil Services Examination?
Answer: Harita V. Kumar
68. Which company is offering the world’s first smart phone with the Firefox operating
69. Who is appointed as governor of Sikkim?
Answer: Shriniwas Patil
70. Who became the youngest Indian to win a gold medal at the Asian Boxing
Answer: Shiva Thapa
71. Who is appointed as 40th Chief Justice of India with tenure until 26th April 2014?
Answer: P. Sathasivam
72. Name the Afghan governor and Myanmar women who won Magsaysay awards?
Answer: Habiba Sarabi and Lahpai Seng Raw
73. Which country celebrated its national day on 21st July and who was sworn in as 7th king?
Answer: Belgium, Prince Philippe
74. Who won the Continental Chess Association Open title 2013?
Answer: Parimarjan Negi
75. Who is the inventor of the Computer mouse he died recently?
Answer: Douglas Engelbart
76. Who is the Winner of Women’s Singles Wimbledon Tennis Tournament 2013?
Answer: Marion Bartoli
77. Who is the Winner of Men’s Singles Wimbledon Tennis Tournament 2013?
Answer: Andy Murray
Men’s Doubles winners are Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan.
Women’s Doubles winners are Hsieh Su-wei (Taiwan) and Peng Shuai (China)
78. Who becomes the new Prime Minister of Egypt?
Answer: Hazem El-Beblawi
79. Who is appointed as the Coach of Indian Men’s Hockey Team by Hockey India (HI)?
Answer: Maharaj Kishan Kaushik
80. Who is sworn in as the 9th Chief Minister of Jharkhand?
Answer: Hemant Soren
81. Who won the Commonwealth Chess Championship 2013?
Answer: Abhijeet Gupta